Makri and Livisi, now known as Fethiye and Kayaköy respectively, are located on the southwestern coast of Turkey – on the east of Rhodes. Makri, a coastal town with a harbor, is just 36 nautical miles from Rhodes, 151 km from Marmaris and 295 km from Antalya. The old Makri was destroyed by the earthquakes of April 24 and 25, 1957 and on its ruins raises the modern city that constantly expands and modernizes. Livisi, 8 km south of the Makri Bay in the southern part of a large valley, is built like an amphitheatre on rocky hills, at the foot of a ridge of Karadağ, a part of the mountain Babadağ, as evidenced by the Turkish name Kayaköy that means rocky village. A settlement largely abandoned today with its stone houses standing still, a ghost village (hayalet köy), as is also known to the locals, remains as a symbol of the Exchange.
History and timeline after 1922
- 1922 Almost 800 abandoned houses exist in Livisi.
- 1952 First visit of Makrolivisian people back to their country. Photos from Kalliopi Mouseou
- 1957 Makri is damaged by a 7.3 richter earthquake
- 1983 Metropolite of Myron in the church of Kato Panaya of Livisi
- 1998 TURSAB (union of Turkish Tourist Offices) and Architectural Chamber of Fethiye, ask the permission of Ministry of Culture to repair the two main temples of Livisi and the Girls’ School
- 2000 A protocol of cooperation signed by TURSAB and Architectural Chamber of Fethiye for the repair of two temples as also for declaring Livisi a village of friendship and peace
- 2001 Cooperation of GR and TUR ICOMOS for Livis
- 2003 A cultural youth festival organized in Livisi by AEGEE (Association des États Généraux des Étudiants de l’Europe) supported by EU
- 2012 Ministry of Culture announces intention of hiring part of Livisi village for 49 years for touristic purposes of 300 beds on an area of 222 acres
- 2014 Annual Meeting of Turks and Greek Architects opposes the proclaimed touristic establishment
- 2016 Ministry of Culture withdrew its intention